Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Tuesday, May 19: A Day Off

Joe and I both managed well with  my first day away from the hospital. I think it was good for both Joe and I to realize he was fine without me hovering around every minute. It adds to his feeling of independence. 

He says he spent 22 minutes on a power bicycle and 16 minutes doing his arm crunches. He is still in the Rehab Trauma Center until they make a final decision on the pace maker. These low heart rates of athletes throw the cardiologist for a loop. They can't decide if he has a naturally low heart rate or if it is due to the injury.  

He had a nice visit with Mike,  his nieces' husband from Seattle and they will visit again tonight. Seeing his friends and family is the very best medicine. Love you all, Sandy & Joe

1 comment:

  1. Hi Joe and Sandy,

    Happy to hear you both survived your day apart. Yes, a short separation does contribute to a sense of independence for each of you.

    Your comment about the slow heart rate of the athlete gave me a chuckle. Several years ago, after one of his many crashes, Jim ended up in the ER (turned out to be broken ribs and punctured lung) and the Drs. were startled and concerned---especially since, as he lay there in the treatment room, his heart rate became even slower.

    Today I packed my suitcase so I'll be ready when the stork calls. Some things I can't pack until the last minute (don't have duplicate curling irons, for instance) but I'm trying to do as much ahead as I can.

    Today Jim went out for a 1 1/2 hr. easy ride. Didn't leave home until almost 6:30 p.m.---he likes to ride in the gold light of late afternoon/early evening. It is awfully pretty at that time of day.

    Glad to hear that Joe is back on the bike and enjoying his visitors.

    Keep up the good work!

    Glenna & Jim

    ReplyDelete