Thursday, May 7, 2009

Thursday, May 7: Lord Give Me Patience

So, Joe's mantra today was "Lord, give me patience". His swallowing test was not a great success but did reveal a great deal of information. Because of the surgery done in his neck, the muscles and nerves are still swollen and not up to their full capacity. So, we have to wait for that beer. They will give him exercises to strengthen his tongue and develop the sensitivity in his throat. This will allow the beer to reach his stomach and not his lungs. On the other hand, his breathing capacity has improved so they will begin taking him off the trach for 15 minutes at a time. If I have to chose between beer or air, I will chose air. Supposedly, getting to the 8 hour mark takes some time and then you move more quickly after that period. Of course, Joe was disappointed but after talking with the doc. he understood that time is the healer of all things. Going faster (and you know Joe likes to go fast) sets him up for failure. In this situation, he knows the doc knows best. Along with all the positive energy, please send us patience. Love Sandy & Joe

5 comments:

  1. Hey, Joe!
    Patience, my good man! Oh, yes, I remember that feeling once! Did I ever have any of it??
    We pursuit-ists NEVER go anywhere or do anything BUT FAST!! How does one do patience in a FAST manner??
    I am out of town this week but still reading your blogs! When I get back I will try and get up to SJ and see your smilin' mug! HMMM... MUG...that reminds me of BEER!
    And just what does that doctor think you will do with a strengthened tongue?? Lap up the beer? Or what?
    You take care, do what the doctor and Sandy say and remember that we here in Gilroy think of you daily. These blogs are so great! Thank you, Sandy, for letting us share the experience and get a small look into your lives. My doggies say "Hi" to Shasta!
    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Joe! Jeff and I have been traveling for work for the last few weeks but have been checking your progress via the blog; sounds like slow progression, but progression in any amount is the key. Hang in there. We have (Perez Family genes) a pretty strong gene pool with a tenacious spirit so let's just keep fighting. You are in our thoughts and prayers.
    Debbie & Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joe & Sandy!

    Oi. Patience. I don't like it either. I'm convinced though, that you can do just about anything you set your mind to. We will all soon be seeing the most goal-oriented, focused patience ever exhibited by a human non this planet! lol :-) Go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joe:

    Just wanted to check in and wish you well. Sounds like you're making some great progress towards a full recovery.

    All the best,

    Steve Stewart

    ReplyDelete
  5. I once knew a girl named Patience. [And this is as far as I'll take that story].

    Tell you what...I'll have that beer for you right now. Just remember, it's 4:30 somewhere. And I'm somewhere where there is beer.

    Joe- do you have a cell phone handy? I don't care if you can talk just now. One way conversations have never been a problem for me, especially if it's 4:30.

    Talk to ya later.

    B. Wally [503] 839.0312

    ReplyDelete