Tuesday, February 9, 2010

THE FIRST STEPS!!!!



Joe has started going to a gym in Pleasanton called SCI-FIT (Spinal Cord Injury-Fitness Integrated Therapy). It is a great complement to his PT at Kaiser. Today was our second day and they had him on a treadmill with a harness. This allowed him to take his first steps with cues from the trainer. It was hard for him to coordinate his movements but he was able to lock out one leg and pull the other through with cueing. The focus of this gym is strength building as well as movement. We have seen good results mentally and physically. I can even get a bike ride in myself while Joe is working out. This is the best of both worlds.

We are looking at March 8 for implantation of the balofen pump and then a week at Kaiser rehab in Vallejo. After that it will be out patient at Kaiser, acupuncture, and two days a week at SCI FIT. Our week is full and we love it. Spring is in the air and our hopes our high.

7 comments:

  1. Very cool. Race ya to the fridge! Soon come man.

    B. Wally

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! And fabulous. I am very happy for both of you. Wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pictures! That place looks and sounds totally cool. I'm glad you get to work out at the same time Sandy. I bet you are both enjoying that.
    Joe looks determined and happy to be vertical. I smiled and let out a yahoo when I just opened the pic to see what you were up to.

    Go Joe! Go Sandy! Allez!!

    mb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yussel, sorry for not writing sooner but we were in FL & my email responsibilities are flawed when away. You & Sandy must be very excited about some of the recent progress you've had standing & walking. Keep it up, dude. You guys may wanna check out an article in the Parade section of this past Sunday's paper. It shows an invention that helps crips stand & walk w/out aid. There's a battery pack worn on your back & you give it commands for what you want to do. I saved the article & can provide add'l info if ya can't find it.

    I'll stay in touch now that I'm back so love to you both.

    Gene "Rkt" Levin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joe, I talked to Mo last night and he told me about how positive you are. The work must be hard, but your progress is inspirational Those of us in West Chester are rooting for you.

    Tony Aspite

    ReplyDelete
  6. this post made me smile!

    ReplyDelete